Old 27-03-2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb

Default Is premium bird seed worth it?

Check at your grocery store. Our's gives suet away and very few customers
know this.

Betsy
"madgardener" wrote in message

"Blarneystone" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I picked up a bag of premium seed from the high-end garden shop nearby.
It was about $10 for 5lbs.

I was wondering if it's really better than buying a 25lb bag of
sunflower seed for $12 at wal mart?

Compared to the cheep-o seed I bought at home depot a few weeks ago
(was mostly the little beige kernels with a sunflower seed here and
there) They've really gone to town emptying my feeders in just a
matter of days.

Is it worth it?

the birds will eat the Pennkote black sunflower seeds that you find at
Lowes in 50 pound bags of $13 just fine. unless you can AFFORD the
expensive kind, I don't bother. think of the birds and what they eat if
they aren't supplimented. I've seen chickadee's in the parking lot eating
FRENCH FRIES................so the cheaper seed is just fine. I get mine
at the Co-op or Lowes (or Depot) and the birds tear it up just fine. I
also hang suet baskets with suet (that I DO get at Wally World because
theirs is the same and cheaper) because they need the extra protein when
it's cold. Thistle seed for the tiny birds when I have the bucks in
thistle socks, but once it's spring, they're on their own.............
that's my take on it. I wouldn't waste my money on the fancy stuff unless
I saw proof that they ate almost all of it and I had the money to throw
away..
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36