Old 27-03-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Manure - Any tips?

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

The message . com
from "Sacha" contains these words:

That's a different issue, because dairy farmers have to keep the milk
of recently-medicated cows out of the processing system. It doesn't, or
should not, enter the food chain.

That's interesting, thanks. But I was thinking of/wondering about any
kind of obligatory vaccination, perhaps. Does such a requirement
exist, do you know?

M says cattle are routinely vaccinated against respiratory diseases.

Is there any indication of how long it takes such chemicals to become
harmless when stored in rotting manure?! Kate has certainly raised a
very important point there, it seems to me.

Istr OP's are pretty persistent. I'll ask if he knows.

He doesn't know about persistence in manure.

Thanks, Janet. I think anyone wanting to use cow manure on veg patches
might want to find out exactly what the vaccine consists of and how
long it takes to 'disappear'. Perhaps DEFRA could help. Cough.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk