Old 27-03-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann

Default Asparagus Beds?

"Dave" expounded:

Since the plants are said to be very deep, should these beds ever be
turned? If so what depth is considered safe? Last year I noticed that
some of the wood mulch I had applied earlier had compacted into a
rather hard "particle board" like layer, so I made some attempt to
break that up. To avoid this issue I'm going to try to apply only leaf
mulch.

Don't turn the beds, that'll break up any sprouts coming up from the
crowns. Get rid of that wood mulch and mulch with well-rotted manure
or your leaf mulch..

--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked