Old 28-03-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Shredding for path chips

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

"David" wrote in message

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

"Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hardly dare ask another question about shredders . . . but here goes:

I want to produce chips to make paths with, compost-making is
secondary.
Which sort of shredder does that best: spinning-blade type or "silent"
cog-wheel type?
Thanks

Absoluteley no contest--cog-wheel type-Have a look at Bosch.

As the owner of a highly efficient heavy-duty spinning-blade shredder
with which I am very happy, I would be interested to know the reasons
for your very strong opinion.
Janet G

I would as well! I have used a spinning blade shredder for the past 7
years
and have got rid off mountains of branches up to 50mm thick. The
shreddings
make great paths and mulch around my hedges and woodland areas of the
garden. The only down side of the spinning blade is that it is noisy (well
mine is anyways) and I find that I end up having to wear ear plugs. I
haven't used the "cog" type and would also like to hear the pros and cons
of
each type,

regards,

David

I bought a Bosch 2200 HP ( 2.2Kw) after taking advice from this group a few
years ago. Previously I had used the spinning blade thingy's and found them
too noisy and slow..

I think that the cheaper spinning blade models are the ones which are
unsatisfactory. I started with a little Al-ko but now have a large
Viking which was relatively expensive (about £300 from memory) when I
bought it about five years ago but has a very large intake chute, very
rarely clogs and eats up material very quickly.
Janet G