Old 28-03-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds
Pat

Default bottom cleanup

I think fresh cement can turn the water alkaline. After it ages a week or
so its okay.

I bought a 25 foot roll of chicken wire 3 feet wide. I folded it so it was
4 layers. Sewed the top edge closed using some wire. Then opened the
bottom up and shaped it. I pictured filling the inside up with foam so I
bought some spray cans of foam. I quickly learned that the foam didn't go
very far and was expensive. I ended up with a thin holey layer of foam on
the inside. Mostly I was trying to make a surface that would hold the
mortar in place. If I was to make another one I think I would try Paper
Mache. Cheap and easy. I made it sitting on some sawhorses in my driveway.
I kept having to go back to the store and buy more mortar. Pretty soon I
realized that this rock was going to be pretty heavy. I was able to back my
pickup up to it and slide it in. Then I drove my pickup to the pond and
slid it off. Probably weighs 3-400 pounds. Next one gets built in place.
The rock is probably 1 foot thick. The curved shape keeps it stable.

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Pat" wrote in message
I like it too. I learned a lot making the rock.

Such as??

I might try to incorporate a artificial rock like that along with my
natural rocks as well.

Did you build a wooden framework for the rock, and also do chemicals leech
out of the mortar into the pond? (In other words, is it fish freindly?)

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)