Old 28-03-2006, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Seedlings very leggy...

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks for the reply. I was suprised that the one tom seed germinated
so quickly -maybe its a stray basil ?!
They will be going into hanging baskets on a south facing fence -
therefore getting full sun and well shaded from the wind. I've planted
about 5x more seeds than I need plants, so should have enough choice to
pick the strong ones.

Given that you'll presumably be leaving the propagator permanently
on the windowsill from now on, in line with all the advice proffered:
as the weather has improved, in the SE at least.
I haven't conducted any experiments to prove the efficacy of this,
but its not that difficult to cut out an extra blanket lid out of
bubblewrap, which can be slid right over the propagator at night
and removed in the morning. Slid right down so it rests on the actual
sill all around. Cut the bubblewrap to fit, by draping it over the lid
and then stick the sides together with sellotape. The actual thickness
is up to you, depending on much clearance you have all round..
This is easy with an unheated propagator as there's no snagging with
the cable. Depending on the material of the sill, resting the propagator
on a sheet of bubblewrap or a thin sheet of expanded polystyrene cut
to fit, may also reduce heat loss in that direction too.
Apparently insulating bubblewrap is far more effective than packing
bubblewrap, of which you can find odd bits knocking around all over
the place for nothing. But then anything is better than nothing
as well. While people who don't bother with any of this probably
achieve results which are 80% as good.

michael adams