Old 28-03-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

Default Seedlings very leggy...

On 28 Mar 2006 00:18:04 -0800, wrote:

I have planted 16 basil seeds and 16 tumbler tom seeds in a propagator,
I have put this into a warm cupboard following advice on here.
Many of the basil seeds have germinated, and so far one of the tom
seeds. However, they all appear very leggy - they are about 2' tall so
far but are yet to develop any leaves (they still have the tight white
'ball' on the top).
Should they be this leggy ? I have moved them to a sunny position to
try and stimulate leave development - was this the right thing to do,
esp considering most os the toms have not germinated ?? Should I buy
another smaller propagator and seed tray and split them out into
germinated / not germinated - putting the former in a sunny position
and leaving the latter in the cupboard ?

I assume you mean inches and not feet!

2" for tomato seedlings is not too extreme but for basil seedlings
without a leaf that is extreme.

Seedlings generally get leggy when there's too much heat and too
little light. Which is a bit of a simplification admittedly but close
enough to be a usable guide. If you make it dark and warm then you
just recreate the forest floor and they will go at breakneck speed to
try to poke their heads above the canopy before everything else.

I'd try to reduce the heat a little and increase the light a lot. You
could try keeping the tomatoes somewhere warmer than the basil if
possible.