Old 28-03-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default To Compost or Not to Compost

Richard Sexton wrote:

I understand if you're doing ok you can't imagine you're doing anything
wrong and if you're happy with yout plant growth, great. But the idea
"plants get all th enutrients they need from fish" is true you are
quite mistaken.

Except I _still_ didn't say that, and even though I asked nicely, you're
still using quotes to have me saying something I neither said nor believed.

I said _my_ lilies got all the nutrients they needed from my pond. It may
only be because my water supply had all the traces they needed, too. I
also said my water hyacinth did _not_ get all the nutrients they needed
from my pond.

What I _will_ say as a blanket statement is that, in a fish pond, lilies can
get all the nitrogen they need from fish. I'm well aware that plants need
more than nitrogen. If your plants don't do well enough bare-root, then
the answer is still not to plant in compost. Plant lilies in clay - then
you can use fertilizer spikes without most of the nutrients migrating into
the water.
--
derek