Old 28-03-2006, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default Seedlings very leggy...

wrote:
hmm.. too much heat and not enough light - that'll be my airing
cupboard then !
Hopefully they'll be OK now I've moved them somewhere a little warm but
much lighter. The ones that germinated first are prob past saving, but
the latest ones that aren't very leggy yet should hopefully be OK.

One question though - they dont have leaves yet, so how do they 'know'
if its light or dark ?! I can understand this if there were leaves - ie
hunting for light, but they are taking all they need from the compost
at the moment...

AFAIR from my O-level Biology, plants also "know" which way is up or
down and shoots grow one way whilst roots grow the other, even in the
absence of light. Something vaguely suggests the effect is called
"geotropism" (whereas growing towards/away from light is
"phototropism").

James