Old 28-03-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Oxymel of Squill

Default Seedlings very leggy...

it's called damping off, I think it's a viral problem. It always happened to
me until I discovered Cheshunt Compound
Make up a teeny quantity (directions on tin). Wet the compost as normal, sow
seed, give a light spray with CC. Give another light spray when the
seedlings emerge.
No long legs!

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have planted 16 basil seeds and 16 tumbler tom seeds in a propagator,
I have put this into a warm cupboard following advice on here.
Many of the basil seeds have germinated, and so far one of the tom
seeds. However, they all appear very leggy - they are about 2' tall so
far but are yet to develop any leaves (they still have the tight white
'ball' on the top).
Should they be this leggy ? I have moved them to a sunny position to
try and stimulate leave development - was this the right thing to do,
esp considering most os the toms have not germinated ?? Should I buy
another smaller propagator and seed tray and split them out into
germinated / not germinated - putting the former in a sunny position
and leaving the latter in the cupboard ?