Old 13-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default beginner needs help on preparing the soil

The message
from (paghat) contains these words:

Just an odd aside relating to the topic, I'm going Sunday to a little farm
taking as many big containers as I can fit in the back of the
stationwagon, because I'm gonna load up on alpaca poo.

Lucky you :-) I recommend taking old plastic sacks, because you can
fold over the top. This improves the proportion of poo in the breathed
atmosphere on the way home, and avoids any bitter words if one's
companion is less dedicated to garden nutrition than one.

On Sunday we went to bag up a large amount of seaweed from the beach.
Usually, the stuff we collect is dry and already partly decomposed, but
this stuff was fresh and wet from the last high tide. We didn't bother
to close the bags (they were too full anyway).Once the car was full to
the gunnels with seaweed bags we took the dog for a long walk down the
beach. When we got back, about 5,000 flies had woken up in the warmth of
the car, and were buzzing around inside it :-( We tried opening all the
doors; we tried driving with all the windows open; but by the time we
got home, there seemed to be even more flies. Plus when we got the bags
out of the car, the floor was full of little sandhoppers too. Bad vibes
from the beloved; good stuff for the garden though.

Janet.