Old 28-03-2006, 11:18 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

Default WATERHOUSEA FLORIBUNDA HEDGE

In article . com,
"jpd1009" wrote:

chookie, thanks for your great comments.
I agree that the Syzygium species are hard to go past.

i am curious about your comments on Waterhousea florabunda, it is used
extensively down here as a medium screen.
For example here is a typical comment from a melbourne retail supplier.
Maybe it is a matter of getting the variety correct.

http://www.goinggoinggreen.com.au/trees-melbourne.html

That one's a cultivar (= cultivated variety) and only grows to 5m. I thought
you meant the original, which is described this way a bit lower down:

"Evergreen tree that grows 8-10meters tall around inner suburban Melbourne.
This tree can be pruned or cut back to shape or maintained at a particular
height (say 5m for screening 'the next door extension'). This requires a
twice-yearly cut back ..."

So the nursery is saying that you need to cut it back twice a year to keep it
at 5m. So twice a year, you have to get someone in to cut it, or climb up a
very long ladder to do it yourself. That's two Saturdays and/or your money
wasted -- or you could just buy the smaller cultivar and let it grow without
the need for a high-wire act twice a year. Usually, fruit trees and shrubs
are pruned once a year, if at all. Non-fruiting trees are usually left to
develop normally.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"... if *I* was buying a baby I'd jolly well make sure it was at
least a two-tooth!"
Mary Grant Bruce, The Houses of the Eagle.