Old 29-03-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Seedlings very leggy...

The message ews.net
from "Oxymel of Squill" contains these words:

it's called damping off, I think it's a viral problem. It always
happened to
me until I discovered Cheshunt Compound
Make up a teeny quantity (directions on tin). Wet the compost as
normal, sow
seed, give a light spray with CC. Give another light spray when the
seedlings emerge.
No long legs!

Are you saying that long legs are damping off? Surely damping off is
when seedlings fairly suddenly keel over. If Cheshunt Compound seems to
have been connected with lack of legginess, I can't imagine it's by
cause and effect.

In general as others have said, I'm sure too much warmth is to blame
(along with lack of light as other posters have also said). Whip them
out of the airing cupboard immediately there's any sign of life. I would
also do away with any cover and any supplementary warmth as quickly as
possible too - except perhaps on really cold nights.
Janet G

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have planted 16 basil seeds and 16 tumbler tom seeds in a propagator,
I have put this into a warm cupboard following advice on here.
Many of the basil seeds have germinated, and so far one of the tom
seeds. However, they all appear very leggy - they are about 2' tall so
far but are yet to develop any leaves (they still have the tight white
'ball' on the top).
Should they be this leggy ? I have moved them to a sunny position to
try and stimulate leave development - was this the right thing to do,
esp considering most os the toms have not germinated ?? Should I buy
another smaller propagator and seed tray and split them out into
germinated / not germinated - putting the former in a sunny position
and leaving the latter in the cupboard ?