Old 29-03-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

Default Drier conditions & water restrictions - what to do?

In article .com, Rob
Hamadi wrote:

Stan The Man wrote:
In article , someone
here wrote:
So how are you going to syphon the water without using a hosepipe?

A hosepipe ban is a ban on two specific uses of a hosepipe. All other
uses are permitted. You are prohibited from watering the garden and
from washing the car. Anything else is allowed -- including leaving a
hosepipe running on the driveway.

Correct, AFAICT (though I'd be surprised if some creative thinking
hadn't gone into the driveway thing). On the substantive question,
Thames Water has a FAQ at:
http://www.thames-water.com/UK/regio...FAQ_000051.jsp

Which says in part:
- Can I use a hosepipe to reuse wash water, i.e. from the bath or
washing machine?
- Yes, a hosepipe may be used to syphon water for reuse.

Further proof that the law is an ass: you can use a hosepipe to water
an allotment (because it is classed as agricultural land) but not to
water your garden veg plot.

Not correct, at least according to Thames Water, who say:
- Can I water my allotment using a hosepipe, sprinkler, perforated
hose, trigger hose or similar apparatus?
- No, an allotment is classed as a private garden.

Ah, but I've just explained why you shouldn't believe everything the
water companies tell you. Allotments _are_ excluded because they are
agricultural land. The Govt _asks_ allotment holders to comply with
hosepipe regulations, but it cannot force them to.