Old 29-03-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default ...putting bulbs outdors...

May wrote:
I was given two pots of *bloomin lovely* hyacinths for Christmas.. pale pink
and blue. As they died down Ive left them in sit (window-sill) ..when can
they be put outdoors?? will they look as good when they bloom again.. or is
it best to keep for indoor pots for next time. ??? Thanks.

What I do is that I let them wilt in a dry and hidden place coz let's
face it they're ugly then. Once the leaves have all died I take the
bulbs out the pots and place them on some newspaper to dry for a few
days. Once dried I rub out the earth from them and place them in an
empty shoe box and place them on the shelves in a dry place until
October and then plant them out, either straight in the ground or in
pots but for outdoors. I never use them for indoors again. I've had
years of lovely blooms in pots that way. The hyacynth are sometimes
producing more leaves and the flowers are long and thin and not as
plump as they first were, but they are scented, colourful and a pot of
20 or so bulbs in bloom is usually a lovely sight in early/mid March )