Old 29-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Scotia Scotia is offline
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Generally, with most spring bulbs be they in the ground or in a pot; the current years flowers are formed the previous year.

The subsequent flower quality is dependant on how and when they were fed.

That is; feed them just as they are coming into bud and allow the leaves to die right back after flowering, this will ensure that the following years embryo has been well fed.

In the case of bulbs that have been treated / forced it might take a couple of years to get back to some sort of size but rarely do they flower like they did in their first year.

I am not sure what treatment they get in their first year but I would assume it is more than what the average gardener could give them.