Old 29-03-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Potting Demonstration

On 29 Mar 2006 10:37:09 -0800, wrote:

how about approaching a local nursery and asking them to donate a few
out of bloom plants? one of my local places sells them for ten bucks,
but then i don't know what they do with them if they don't sell. i
somehow doubt they're going back to the orchid growers. maybe a local
place would give you a handful to experiment on in exchange for a plug
for the store during the demo.

(and yes--people *love* to bring in their own plants in the hopes
someone else will repot them.

--j_a

Suggest if they have plants that are identified and they have visitors
who are label readers that they bury a complete label in the new pot.
Then when the exposed one goes for a walk, they don't have a NOID they
just have to repot.

It is one tip guaranteed to cause discussion. Also talk about ways to
prop plants. If you have plastic pots you can heat a hanger or use a
small sodering iron to make a pair of small holes then run a bamboo
(Bar-B-Q) skewer across the pot to help support the plant.

Good luck. The last time I did the demo - I used a single edge razor
to demo - and promptly cut my thumb the first plant.