Old 29-03-2006, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default bonemeal and veg

Rod Craddock wrote:
"NC" wrote in message
should it be used in any particular situations - or just as a
general fertiliser when planting most things ? what should it not be
used with ??

It's slow releasing, mostly Phospate with a little Nitrogen - not much
else so it's excellent as a planting fertiliser for almost anything. A
more balanced feed later on with all the major nutrients Nitrogen,
Phospate, Potassium will probably be needed. Check the requirements
for individual crops/plants

(snip)

And you find these at the back of the fertilisers boxes as NPK,
nitrogen, phosphorous and potash with % of these. However, as Rod said,
too much is not a good idea. I find manure sufficient for my vegs and
use chicken pooh on my flower beds (because it comes under the shape of
pellets (clever chickens) and it doesn't completely smother the plant
under a pile of s.... )

because the proportions will vary
according to the crop and with the season - For example little or no
Nitrogen and extra Potassium for anything that wants hardening off and
ripening late in the season. There are proprietary products covering
all this or you can brew your own from raw chemicals or organic
sources.
Too much feeding or feeding stressed plants is worse than no feeding,
so don't go thinking twice as much will be twice as good.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.