Old 29-03-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default where to get slightly unusual veg

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cat(h) wrote:
Fantastic variety of veg there. Many thanks. I have no reason to
whinge any more :-)
In fact, I feel peckish for some garden fresh greens...

Just got a phone call from Seeds of Italy
(http://www.seedsofitaly.sagenet.co.uk/) saying that they didn't have
one item from my order, which was the French carrots Jouvres. However
they've offered me another type of carrots seeds, unusual ones indeed.
They're round and I thought you'd like the idea. They are Carrot
Parisier, according to the story when ordinary carrots where sowed in a
very heavy clay around Paris the carrots got round and since a new
variety developed.

Another kind of interesting veg is the L'Agretto, which a friend swap
for some of my coloured chards. Agretti is unusual, known here as
glasswort, does anyone knows this? It's close looking to chives and is
native to Britain though we've lost it along the decades ... taste like
between capers and asparagus apparently. You can find these at seeds of
italy too )

It is Salicornia (various species; not sure which ones you can eat). It is
a common wild plant on salt marshes all round the coasts.
Ricky Stein eat some on one of his fish cookery programmes and that probably
resulted in vast numbers of random salt marsh plants being boiled up
all over the UK. I never realised they were cultivated as well.