Old 29-03-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Composting poultry feathers

In article . com,
La Puce wrote:

newsb wrote:
Every bird in the area will love you

Apart from the chickens...

I do this with my dogs hair. After brushing my dogs (long hair
Tervurens) I roll them into a ball (the hair not the dogs) and stick
them on the holly. Some fall onto the ground, gets into the flower beds
and the slugs don't like it.

I did it with an old down/cotton duvet. It took a while, and then
vanished.

I have asked before in many forums, but never have had an answer
as to what breaks down keratin in the soil. One idiotic answer
was "nothing much", so I pointed out that much of the UK would be
knee deep in old wool if that were the case. The consensus is
"bacteria", which isn't exactly informative and may well be wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.