Old 29-03-2006, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

Default Lawn aerators

"Lyndon" wrote in
:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
3.37...
I'm using what is effectively a fork with five hollow times.
No springs, but the previous plug is (in theory) expelled
when it is next pushed into the soil. Currently it is extremely
easy to get it into the soil, but it is significantly more
difficult when the soil is hard and dry.

Once there's a hole, I'm filling it with horticultural sand
using a crude homemade funnel. Hopefully this will keep the
drainage channel open over time.

Will it work? I wish I knew. But I'm also spreading sand
and mosskiller. I'd appreciate other people's experience...

I scarified. I hired a machine that went over the lawn pushing its
hollow tines into the soil and dumping plugs of soil on the lawn. I
topdressed. I fed the grass. I used moss killer. I cursed. I prayed.
Then I learnt to love moss.
Ah well, sometimes nature wins the battle.

Whoops, I forgot that I have a cheap scarifying machine.

My hopes a
- it has only had too much moss in the last two years
- I'm on the side of a hill (but then I've seen full-blown
bogs on the sides of hill)
- I'm going to halve the size of the tree at
the bottom of the garden, so less shade

I live in hope.