Old 29-03-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Black Walnut Tree....What to do.....

The value of black walnut trees seems to be an urban legend. In
actuality the market for urban trees seems to be very minimal...

Solomon_Man wrote:
All,
I hope I am in the right Newsgroup.......

I have a black walnut tree that I am guessing is about 50 or so years
old. It is very straight and its first branches spring out are about
17-20 feet up. The total tree is about 35-40 feet tall.

The problem at hand.

This tree is within 2 feet of my home. It completely blocks one whole
window in my dining room. The tree has caused us few problems over the
years except that it drops its walnuts on my roof and in my front and
back yard at the same time. The tree did loose a branch for the
previous owner and put about a 6 inch whole in a roof valley but thats
been 20 years back. Needless to say this tree needs to move or be taken
down as its not gotten any smaller over the years and could become a
major pain in the future.

So here are my questions;
I have been told that black walnut trees are somewhat valueable for the
fine wood industry. The previous owner said that she was offered around
3000 dollars for the tree about 20 years back.

Is this tree truelly worth this kind of money?
How would one go about selling a single tree? Who do I contact?
(Foresters,Tree Removers?)

Can a tree of this size be moved especially as close to my house as it
is?

I am basically deciding what to do with this tree. I have a wood
fireplace that I heat my house with for most of the winter. The tree
would probably give me a month or two of wood. Or approximately about
$400-600 worth of fuel (at least!)? I could move it or sell it?

Thanks for all help and suggestions,
Chris
Solomon_Man