Old 30-03-2006, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Black Walnut Tree....What to do.....

On 29 Mar 2006 11:12:38 -0800, "Solomon_Man"
wrote:

Is this tree truelly worth this kind of money?
How would one go about selling a single tree? Who do I contact?
(Foresters,Tree Removers?)

Can a tree of this size be moved especially as close to my house as it
is?

I am basically deciding what to do with this tree. I have a wood
fireplace that I heat my house with for most of the winter. The tree
would probably give me a month or two of wood. Or approximately about
$400-600 worth of fuel (at least!)? I could move it or sell it?

Thanks for all help and suggestions,
Chris
Solomon_Man

You won't be able to move a tree successfully if it has to lose almost
half its root system (and all the roots on one side, thus no anchoring
capability left).

You might have a hard time finding anyone to buy the tree, as well.
Urban trees, especially that close to a house, tend to pick up nails,
screws, hammock hooks, clothesline wire, and various other bits of
metal. The havoc they wreak on saw blades is not worth the headaches
and heartache.

The money saved on firewood is likely to be offset by the cost of the
removal (a competent arborist might well charge over $1000 to get it
down without damaging the house).

Your best bet outside of firewood is probably to seek out a local
woodworking club/group. Some guy with lots of time to check for
problems might be willing to go to more trouble than a mill that could
be processing clean logs if it weren't for wasting time on this one.

Of course, that guy is far less likely to have the means and
wherewithal to move such a large log intact without destroying your
landscape. Are you sure you can't coexist with this tree?

Good luck.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236AT