Old 29-03-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

Default Color enhancing fish food

In article ,
San Diego Joe wrote:
Haven't been here for a while. Notice the din has died a tad.

Does anyone have any factual information or a first hand opinion about
"color enhancing" fish foods? Does it actually make those reds brighter?
Will it bring back a color that has faded? I am, of course, completely
skeptical. Plus, they are very much more expensive than the standard food.

It's a well understood concept in fish, birds and what have you. Certain
foods, such as carrots and paprika will impart or enhance a red coloration
in fish or "red factor" canaries (red factor is a gene than if present,
turns the bird red if it eats paprika).

I gut-load white worms with carrot puree to get this. You can usually
get any food animal to eat carrot. Dunno about paprika (although any
red chili will work) but it may work.

I don't know but I suspect pond-carp such as goldfish and koi might
eat coursly grated carrot.

I personally think color enhancing fishfood is a very expensive
way to buy buy carrots. Look at the label and it should be obvious
what the coloring ingregient is.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net