Old 29-03-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Default Goldfish color.. questions...

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Gareee©" wrote in message

Thanks for the replys, guys.. and yep, most are 3" or longer.

Wish I knew of a farmer that could take them, but if the pond looks
overstocked by the end of the year, I supposed releasing the extra in
a nearby man made lake would be acceptable.

==========================
Yes, people do that here as well. We have a large man-made lake where I
have SEEN people pour out a bucket of either goldfish or small orange
colored koi. They stock this lake with largemouth bass and there are
huge catfish there as well. I'm sure most end up dinner for these
predators but it's better than tossing them on a compost pile (and one
man I know does that as well) and die a lingering death by suffocation.

I think that you have to be very careful when considering releasing
non-native fish into the environment whatever predators are out there....

1. They could go native and destroy the eco system
2. They could be diseased and kill off the wildlife preying on them or
preying on the fish that eat them.

I don't know the answer for those of you who are overly successful in
breeding your fish but I don't think releasing them into the wild is the
right way....

Gill