Old 29-03-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Default Color enhancing fish food

San Diego Joe wrote:
Haven't been here for a while. Notice the din has died a tad.

Does anyone have any factual information or a first hand opinion about
"color enhancing" fish foods? Does it actually make those reds brighter?
Will it bring back a color that has faded? I am, of course, completely
skeptical. Plus, they are very much more expensive than the standard food.

I love feeding color enhancing foods. They usually contain a lot of
carotenoid pigments and/or algae. Fish must obtain carotenoids from
their food - they cannot synthesize the pigments themselves, although
they can interconvert them. Carotenoids produce the green-yellow,
yellow, orange, and red colors, and they're mostly synthesized by plants
and algae. The more pigment you feed your fish, the more it can store
and the brighter the color gets. Carotenoids commonly occurring in
freshwater fish include beta-carotene, lutein, taraxanthin, astaxanthin,
tunaxanthin, alpha-, beta-doradexanthins, and zeaxanthin.

I used to feed color food to my African cichlids and I had amazing,
yellow-orange N. leleupis. I brought some into a store to sell, the
fish manager was amazed. I also recently switched to TetraMin color
flakes from the regular TetraMin. My gold white clouds went from pale
gold to a rich, orangey gold. My koi angelfish also went from yellow to
orange and developed more areas of color. I've always used color
pellets for my goldfish, and the little sarassa comets I bought recently
have turned from orange to a much deeper red on the color food.

A commercial example of color feeding is salmon flesh. Wild salmon have
bright pink flesh from eating shellfish which are rich in astaxanthin (a
carotenoid). The shellfish get it from eating algae, which produce the
pigment. Farmed salmon must be colorfed to get the flesh looking pink
the way people expect. Flamingos are also pink from eating
astaxanthin-containing algaes.

I think you would be very happy with the results of a color food in
restoring color to your faded fish.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com