Old 29-03-2006, 10:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Want to swap plants?

On 2006-03-28, wrote:

Uh...google groups are usenet groups. Forgot who bought/sold what but currently
Google hosts (or at least record/save) the usenets groups.
It's different from yahoo's groups if that's what you meant.

It is different from usenet also. You are correct they are an
archive.They bought DejaNews archive. So far as I know you have to be
registered with google to post to google groups or usenet groups, but I
post to usenet from a newsreader called slrn that accesses the
roadrunner newsserver.

I don't believe google has binaries though and you have to go to a
different newsserver for them. They are so large they are purged more
often.

I don't know for sure but I suspect google controls the content of their
groups, but the only thing they can do with usenet group posts is just
not archive the ones they find objectionable. But those can surely be
found on other places on usenet.

I could be wrong, and I will let my son expound if he chooses. He knows
far more about this stuff than I.

On 2006-03-27, Anne Lurie wrote:
You might keep in mind that many people go to Google Groups only to search
for archived posts by topic, newsgroup, etc. -- so many potential
subscribers might not ever see it.

For example, in Outlook Express at least, trianglegardentrade does not show
up as a newsgroup under either "triangle" or "garden."

It is a Google group not a Usenet News Group. Two separate and distinct
groups of groups.

Anne

wrote in message
oups.com...