Old 29-03-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Default Blanket Weed in Ponds

Hi,
If you mean filamentous algae, then this is better controlled than
iradicated.
Filamentous algae can be a nuisance but also beneficial to ponds.
This has the effect of taking nutrients out of the water and by filtering,
or cleaning the water as it flows over the fil. algae., it can assist in
halting the algal bloom known as , "pea soup" it can also be a haven for
aquatic insects which as they lossen their grip can provide food for fish.
So you see nature has a good side and a bad side.
work with nature, not against.
As another example, cow dung dropped on fields, is messy when dogs roll in
it during walkies, but it provides food for plants when it breaks down, it
provides a host for insect life, and the insects provide food for birds,
whose droppings provide food for plants, whose leaves provide food for cows,
whose dung provides food for plants, insect habitat, which ....... etc....
you get jiust by now...
I know i am ramnbling iots our 40th wedding anniversayr today and 40 years
ago today it snowed.... back to celebrations
night all.
regards
Cineman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any easy control for blanet weed / string weed in a
pond.

It is that time of year when it seems to be taking hold.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.