Old 30-03-2006, 05:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Goldfish color.. questions...

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Koi-Lo wrote:

"Gareee©" wrote in message

Thanks for the replys, guys.. and yep, most are 3" or longer.

Wish I knew of a farmer that could take them, but if the pond looks
overstocked by the end of the year, I supposed releasing the extra in a
nearby man made lake would be acceptable.

==========================
Yes, people do that here as well. We have a large man-made lake where I
have SEEN people pour out a bucket of either goldfish or small orange
colored koi. They stock this lake with largemouth bass and there are
huge catfish there as well. I'm sure most end up dinner for these
predators but it's better than tossing them on a compost pile (and one
man I know does that as well) and die a lingering death by suffocation.

I think that you have to be very careful when considering releasing
non-native fish into the environment whatever predators are out there....

This is true Gill. I don't know where this lake drains off to as I never
checked on a map. Fortunately I can get rid of mine in a farm stock pond.

1. They could go native and destroy the eco system

Man made lakes here are not a natural system. It appears that goldfish and
koi have not naturalized in our lakes. Probably because of all the
predators and their bright colors. But what you said also applies to
backyard ponds. How many people have their ponds netted to keep out
wildlife and possibly spreading disease to natural eco systems?

2. They could be diseased and kill off the wildlife preying on them or
preying on the fish that eat them.

They can do the same thing feeding in someone's unnetted backyard pond.
Herons and Kingfishers will feed in an unnatural backyard pond as well as
any other body of water. Before we netted our ponds I even saw what looked
like some kind of hawk carrying off a fish. So we can spread disease as
well as the predators bringing our pond disease/parasites from nature. It
goes both ways.

I don't know the answer for those of you who are overly successful in
breeding your fish but I don't think releasing them into the wild is the
right way....

I agree.... but to prevent wildlife from carrying GF and koi eggs to
natural water and marsh habitats we would all have to net our ponds. My
neighbor's stock pond is at least a mile from the lake and always has
sunfish in it!!! Some water bird (or other form of wildlife) must be
bringing them in.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952