Old 30-03-2006, 08:13 AM posted to rec.ponds
Charles

Default Plants' soil makes water dirty

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:57:39 +0700, "-keevill-"
wrote:

I've just finished an L shaped concrete pond about 20mts in length, 1m wide
and 1m deep. It's tiled with black ceramic tiles . I filled it about a month
ago to let the filter work and test the 3 outlets from the pump to make the
water flow around. There are 3 outlets around the L. The water was lovely
and clear as you would expect.
I recently introduced 5 small Carp ( about 6 inches long each ) and also
some water lilies and reeds which came in pots with soil . I just stuck
these pots into the water and surprise surprise, the water now is no longer
clear. I guess the movement of the water pushed out the soil from the pots
.What is the best way to allow the plants to exist in the pond yet keep the
water clear. I can take them out and turn off the pump and then when the
soil etc has gone the bottom, take it out but the same thing is going to
happen when I put them back.

Put rocks on top of the dirt, that will keep most of it in, as well as
keeping the carp out. Carp love to dig in the dirt. A lot of the
dirt will settle out over time. If you have living things in the
water, it won't be crystal clear, you will have algae blooms, plant
debris, all sort of things. Part of the world of ponds.