Old 30-03-2006, 03:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Default JACARANDA Tree

0tterbot wrote:
,
then tried to charge $16,000 to replace the pipe. So I have no faith in

Tried Rootox?

How much plastic pipe are we talking about here?
where does it run? and what does it affect?
Seriously, if it is all on your property, all you need is a walk behind
trencher, a few runs of 100mm plastic sewer pipe, some pipe glue and a
tenching shovel. Replace the pottery pipes with plastic and do not put
the joins near the tree. Maybe some abgle bends

Locate the drop off to the waterboard main, locate toilet or some piece
of existing pipe, then run a trench. Try to apply an even slope overthe
run of the trench, then just relay the pipe, flush loo, and check it
runs okay, then refill.

Of course, legality is another issue.

Your costs might be up because you are on a hill (hand digging) or you
have to enter neighbours property (restitution of their property), etc.

there's a facility which escapes me entirely atm, but they provide
assistance for disputes between neighbours along these lines, when just
talking to them hasn't helped. but i'm not sure if this is everywhere or
not - ring council

Neighbourhood dispute centres?
Phone book?

& find out your & the neighbours' legal status on the
issue & if there's anything council can do or advice they can give. afaik,
legally, the roots on your property are in fact yours even though the tree
isn't. this would mean that if you had the pipes re-done & were able to
install, say, an underground wall or barrier to keep the roots away from the
pipe itself (assuming this is possible, which i don't know, and would work,
which again i don't know) you're entitled to do that, even if it affects the
tree negatively.

Aaah, nope, if your work adversely affects the tree and this causes tree
to fall and cause damage, then you could be liable.

I've suggested rootox. Seriously, it might be cheaper just to pop one of
these in the loo each night,

Try the legal remediation avenue first.

You are allowed to trim over hanging branches at your boundary on a
normal day, aka, don't pull the tree towards you and trim it. No, No.

If you get no success and it is still a nuisance, then you should trim
it at the boundary line religiously {:-).