Old 30-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Scotia Scotia is offline
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Ryder
I've dug up the lawn and there appears to be about 3/4 of a spades depth of
soil before I hit "something" which I assume is the tank. There was a tree
growing nearby so teh soil is full of roots. My plan was to plant something
like a group of Phormiums (N Zealand Flax) to sort of flop over the bits I
want to hide. Will they grow in this depth of rooty soil? Will they damage
the tank? Any other suggestions? (It is in the middle of a lawn in a north
facing garden but probably far enough away from the house to get some sun.)
TIA
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)--
You could consider deepening the bed by forming a raised bed. Build a wall with either treated timber e.g. railway sleepers, or building blocks or even a drystone wall.

I think I would go for smallish shrubs look in here for ideas; http://thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Mis...20location.htm

Quite often root depth is relative to plant height, hence the reason for me suggesting 'small shrubs'.

I would not select shrubs that require acidic/ericaceous conditions the cement in the tank will have probably raised the alkalinity of the area.

I hope this helps!