Old 30-03-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

Default leather jackets

In article , Pete
writes
The front lawn at home has been devastated by what we think is
leatherjackets.
Trouble is no garden centre seems to have the stuff to get rid of them.
Any thoughts on how to clear the lawn affected (its about 2 metres by 1
metre so quite small - neighbour similarly affected).
Thanks

The nematodes (I think) that are sold at various places (often in Garden
Centres) as a sort of "voucher" which you send off and subsequently get
the things delivered with instructions. I think that you then water
them on the lawn at the appropriate time (when the leather jackets are
active and the grass is growing again?)

I've heard that they are quite effective but haven't needed to use them
myself. My m-i-l has an infestation (of ljs on the lawn) and has just
got some - she's awaiting the right time, which from memory, might be
June?

--
regards andyw