Old 30-03-2006, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

Default Hosepipe ban and RHS

In article ,
wrote:

One basic question

Have the RHS got it right?
I am particularly interested in the greenhouse, as I have young plants and
they will need regular light watering (during the day when I'm at work) so
I have installed an automatic mist system. According to the RHS I can use
this are they right?

Please see full details below.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0406/hosepipes.asp

"Hosepipe restrictions

The following water companies have enforced hosepipe restrictions (as of 23
March 2006)

* Cholderton & District Water (hosepipe ban)
* Mid-Kent Water (hosepipe ban) *
* Sutton and East Surrey (ban on sprinklers and unattended hose use) *
* Southern Water (hosepipe bans in Sussex and Kent) *
* South East Water (hosepipe bans in East and West Sussex and West Kent)
* Thames Water (hosepipe and sprinklers ban - comes into force on 3
April 2006)
* Three Valleys (hosepipe ban)

* The following companies are seeking to enforce a drought order; a drought
order prohibits the use of ANY hosepipe.

A hosepipe ban, as defined in the Water Industry Act (para 76.), does not
prohibit all uses of garden hoses - including cleaning, hosing down pets and
livestock, filling fish ponds, drinking troughs, bird baths and other
unplanted containers, washing trade vehicles, garden furniture, garages and
greenhouses and even garden showers; although careful use should be made to
minimise wastage. Bans only apply to watering of private gardens and washing
of private cars.

It would seem that gardeners and the horticultural industry are being made
to 'carry the can' for the low winter rainfall and the 3,608 megalitres (793
million gallons) of water lost every day through leaks and breakages in the
water companies' pipe network - enough to supply the daily needs of 8.8m
households (38% of the UK population).
Sensible watering"

(Snip The Law)

Where does it say that an automatic mist system is allowed under a hose
restriction? Greenhouse cleaning is allowed but you can't water plants
in any way if connected directly or indirectly (eg via micro tubing) to
a hose which is connected to the mains or to a device such as a tap
timer which is connected to the mains.

It's very illogical and maybe the water companies will see sense and
exempt drip irrigation systems from the restrictions.

But I'm sure the RHS have got it wrong about drought orders banning any
use of a hose. The compnaies they highlight have applied for a
non-essential use drought order and while this is an escalation, it
impacts more on the service, amenity and leisure industry than it does
on gardeners. Below is an extract from the non-essential use drought
order application made by one of the water companies:

This PDF of a NEU drought order application shows what measures are
being applied for -- and also shows that many of the current permitted
uses of a hose will remain unaffected.

http://www.waterplc.com/WaterPlc/dro...ught_Order.pdf