Old 30-03-2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Got back My Soil Test!

Hi, I am new to this newsgroup and learning as I go I just received my
soil test back from UGA in Georgia and they show the following:

pH(CaCI2)-4.6
Potassium-low
Magnesium-low-Everything else is good/sufficient.
Texture is dark loose and grainy with no clay. Drainage is to good as it is
on gentle slope but tends to be dry towards hot days of summer and trees
sapping up moisture.

They recommended dolomite lime of course @ 60lbs per 1000 sq ft. (I knew my
soil was acid and have planted natural acid lovers shrubs/flowers etc) and
10-10-10 @ 2 cups per 100 sq ft. now and again in May and July

My question is do you think this will hurt my established plants mostly
Azaleas and Rodies Hostas and other shadelovers? It was a wooded lot
(150x200 ft) with oaks hickory dogwoods and couple of pines. I cleared out
smaller oaks and hickory for more sun and limbed up remaining but is still
mostly a shaded woodland garden in zone 7B.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated from you experts on soils!

Oh yeah one more question if you don't mind. I have just read from research
that hollytone lowers the ph and I am afraid I might have messed up using it
on the new Leyland Cypresses I planted on the street side of lot that
receives morning and afternoon sun. They were planted last year and so far
look to be healthy but should I lime heavy around them just in case? Thanks.

Elaine in Georgia

--
Elaine