Old 30-03-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Black Walnut Tree....What to do.....

On 30 Mar 2006 07:56:13 -0800, "Solomon_Man"
wrote:

Actually landscape destruction is not so much a big deal. I have had to
remove ten trees this year alone from my front yard because of
remodeling, storms, and disease. I have two friends that are landscape
architects, and they suggested the local saw mills for the tree. The
price on ebay for black walnut boards is quite high so maybe I will
just have the tree dropped and take the trunk to the mill. I am fairly
handy with wood and then the undesirable pieces cut up for fire wood.

As far as moving the tree or another tree, can a maple thats a little
over a foot in Diameter be moved sucessfully. The tree is in great
shape but its in the middle of my future driveway with no way around. I
love trees but this year has not been to good for them, luckly my yard
has many more. I am in the middle of a major outside remodel. New
Concrete, Mulch, Grass, flower beds, and even new trees. These are the
last two major obstacles.

Thanks for the advice,
Chris

It can be done with the right equipment. I recently followed the
movement of a live oak about 9" DBH. Bids were from $800 to $1700.
The low bid actually seemed to be the best choice in this case--they
refused to do it in an afternoon, but instead dug a trench around the
tree, then treated the root zone with hormones and the tree with
anti-transpirants, then dug and prepped the hole with root
stimulators, then brought in a tree spade to make the move. It was a
local tree grower that mostly caters to wholesale (builders and such).

Another 3" diam adds a lot of weight and risk (to the tree and the
workers) to the process, of course, but for about a hundred grand a
local ad agency moved a pecan tree well beyond that size a few years
back. Don't know where your price will fall, but most likely between
those two ;-)