Old 30-03-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default garden help in front of shed?

Hi,

Beginner question: I've got a small backyard at my townhouse, and have
a space of weedy, poor soil along a shed there that I'd like to use
(thinking for tomatoes, basil, herbs, and such.) It's almost 2 feet
wide and 15 feet long, running between the shed and a straight stone
path. Gets a medium (at best) amount of sun, here in warm Virginia. Can
anyone advise the best way to get started?

I'm assuming I'll need some better soil, am wondering how much (and how
deep?), some stone or wood to help hold it in at the border, and am
trying to figure out best varieties of easy, fun stuff to grow. Stuff
that survives the woes of a beginning gardner!

Tool rec's for getting at those weeds?

Many thanks for all advice!

Sally