Old 30-03-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Aaron Hicks

Default Book --An Enthusiasm for Orchids--

Sorry about that blank message, guys. And, tragically, all that
work I put into the original post is now gone. Even trn didn't save it
like it's supposed to. Darned electrons bit me in the butt again.

But! To answer the questions as best I can: Dr. Alcock's book is
part van der Pijl and Dodson's "Orchid Flowers: Their Pollination and
Evolution," part Chuck Darwin's "Various Contrivances," part insect
behavioralism, and a good dose of a skilled writer's sabbatical jaunt
through Western Australia. In that sense, it's not entirely an orchid
book, but it's also not entirely a wasp book. If you enjoy the
(non-technical and entertaining) work of David Quammen, you'll like what
Alcock has to say on the subject.

It is not a several-hundred-page diatribe on the interactions
between Drakaea and the wasps that pollinate them, although they do play a
strong role in the book. In his presentations I have attended (both while
he was writing this particular book and immediately after his
publication), he had some wonderful notes about all sorts of WA flora, not
just the orchids.

So. Big on "casual" audience, great for springtime reading, and
very educational.

Hope THIS message makes it through.

The email address in the header isn't valid. Send no mail there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ