Old 30-03-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

Default Rigid pond liner

"John" wrote in message
In article ,
"BAC" wrote:

An alternative to digging a full sized hole is to install the rigid

liner
into the equivalent of a raised bed. If you excavate a hole for the deep
water section, the spoil can be used to help support the marginal

section.
Something like log-roll screwed to timber stakes can be used as a

temporary
retaining wall when you're backfilling under the margins.

I definitely like this idea. I've had a few ponds by now; the one time
I tried with a rigid liner, I followed all the advice and instructions
carefully, but despite all my best efforts, the liner "settled" at one
edge a few days after I'd filled it, and I was left with an awful
unsightly edge of the liner poking up for at least half the
circumference of the pond. It was a very big liner, so I was greatly
disinclined to empty it and start all over again (especially as I'd
transferred all my ongoing pond mud, complete with creatures). Yes, I
like the built-up idea -- doesn't have to be very built-up, does it.

No, it doesn't, and the dimensions of the liner quoted were not very great.

I've seen two ponds installed by the method I described, and they have
worked fine and looked OK. If you don't try to follow the shape of the
liner too closely with the 'retaining wall', you can create room for
pondside planting, filter, or whatever, as required.