Old 30-03-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tab

Default leather jackets

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Pete" wrote
The front lawn at home has been devastated by what we think is
leatherjackets.
Trouble is no garden centre seems to have the stuff to get rid of
them.
Any thoughts on how to clear the lawn affected (its about 2 metres by
1 metre so quite small - neighbour similarly affected).

I've heard leatherjackets can be brought to the surface by watering if
the soil's not already moist, covering the grass with something to
exclude light, e.g. black polythene sheet, and leaving it overnight.
Next morning you can lift the sheet off a bit at a time and catch them
before they burrow back down out of the light again.

--
Sue

I have never seen a leatherjacket but someone told me that it is them that
the crows feed on on golfcourse.
They cant be very big so how or in what does one catch them?Sorry if this
sounds a bit stupid but I am interested.