Old 30-03-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default leather jackets

"James Fidell" wrote
Tab wrote:

I have never seen a leatherjacket but someone told me that it is them
that the crows feed on on golfcourse.
They cant be very big so how or in what does one catch them?Sorry if
this sounds a bit stupid but I am interested.

This is the first one google threw at me:

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/leatherj.htm

There's no scale on the image, but they're about 3cm long, I'd say.

Yes and they look a bit like a dingy brown caterpillar. Another page on
the same site gives a handy scale:
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/insects.htm - scroll down
towards the end.

When I said 'catch them' I didn't mean to make sound as if they might
run off at high speed!
I haven't tried the technique with plastic sheet but I should think you
just pick them off the grass and dispose of as you see fit. Starlings
also apparently think leatherjackets are a gourmet meal so perhaps put
'em on the bird table.

--
Sue