Old 31-03-2006, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Default Confused

Jackie Brown wrote:
Hi Can you please help me? I have just taken delivery of 2 items from
ebay, I have just looked them up as I am a newbie to gardening and I
see contradictory information

Is the amelanchier (snowy mespilus) a tree or a shrub? Some places
say its a tree where others say its a shrub, they also have different
height given; ranging from 90cm to 10 metres!

Help! How big will this get?

There are two forms;

A.lamarkii - shrubby multi-stemmed

A.canadensis - tree form

I've seen disputes as to whether the difference is real or a training issue.

If you have a single stemmed thing branching out at 1m plus, it is the tree
form:

If you have a plant branching out @ 30/50cm with possibly other stems as
well, it is the shrubby form

Bothe get to 6/7m height & spread: the tree as a canopy with a single trunk@