Old 31-03-2006, 08:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default Semi Dwarf fruit tree spacing

I still think the nursery is giving out poor advice.

Their 'Backyard Orchard Culture' lays out things which do not make sense. If I
wanted a small tree, why would I buy a big growth tree and chop the hell out of
it?
That's why there are rootstocks that produce trees as small as 6 feet high, and
even
this nursery sells them. Planting more than one tree in a hole is another
abomination
that results in several trees competing with each other and possibly strangling
themselves
to death. My knowledge base is not just my own, but is somewhat of a consensus
of the opinion of the many members of the fruit growing club of which I am an
active
member. This nursery may sell good trees and rootstocks, but they are giving the
wrong messages on how to plant and maintain them.

Sherwin

Bill wrote:

In article , says...

Bill wrote:

In article om,
says...
Just because he's running a nursery, and has a busy webpage, DOES NOT
mean he know what is "right".

OTOH, if he gave out bad infirmation, he probably not stay in business
long.

There are a lot of shady used car salesmen selling junkers out there who
are
quite successful. Staying in business is not a recommendation.

Really? And your words of wisdom are so much more to be believed than a
company who's been in the nursery business since 1938? Why?

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.