Old 31-03-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Pond snails

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

I am hearing good things about having snails in your pond.
What do you experts think ?
I am afraid that these things multiply like crazy and don't want them
getting into my vegetable garden or plants lining the pond.

I don't _think_ aquatic snails are likely to get into your terrestrial
plants. They're aquatic :-) And despite Ingrid's cautions, you're not
going to have a pond _without_ snails. I don't think the "die and
seriously foul the water" issue is a problem. Ponds are full of creatures
that die. Mostly they get eaten by something else before they become
problems. I wouldn't deliberately introduce snails - partly because
they're "disease vectors", and partly because purchased snails are likely
to be non-native and they will definitely get loose, but don't worry about
trying to eliminate the ones you _will_ find.
--
derek