Old 31-03-2006, 06:53 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Default Pond snails

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

Did you buy the ramshorn snails at an aquarium store ?
Are they the GOLD ones ?

Nothing that fancy. I got a bag of duckweed from a friend at the
aquarium society and there were red and brown ramshorns in it. I put
the red ones inside and the brown ones outdoors. They stay quite small
- usually smaller than a dime. Avoid the big, gold Columbian ramshorns.
Those are voracious plant eaters.

I also have a few physid snails - I have no idea where they came from.
They're the little bitty football shaped ones. They have more of a
reputation for multiplying and eating plants, but my plants look fine.

You mentioned collecting from a mountain stream, but I'm not sure I'd go
that far. Ingrid has a good point that snails can carry diseases,
although all of the snail-borne diseases also require specific
fish-eating birds and specific species of snails. The whole lifecycle
is unlikely to be completed in a small pond, but maybe in a larger one.
Of course, a large pond will get snails anyway.

Sick fish - pelican or heron - infected snail - waterborne parasite.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com