Old 30-03-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Peat Moss (Help!)

"George.com" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:38:13 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

"Chuckie" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am putting a new garden in.
Yes I have humus but I do not have enough

an alternative that may be acceptable and is cheap (as it is considered

waste product) if you have a farm near you is spent mushroom compost.

rob

You have to watch mushroom compost. I regret using it. The following
year my lawn had a lot of weeds to treat.

I haven't used it on a lawn but do use it to add organic matter to soil in
gardens where it does bery nicely.

if the compost is properly treated before it is sold it should be fine. The
stuff I use is amde from horse shit and straw. It is hot composted before
becoming a growing medium for mushrooms. The waste product is then steam
sterilised (avoid any that is chemically treated). If I wanted to be
cautious I would leave it for a few weeks in a pile totoally degrade. The
compost may not have been the source of weed but more to do with the
reaction of weeds liking it.