Old 31-03-2006, 01:52 PM posted to aus.gardens
Dave Turner

Default Only got 1 watermelon from my vine!?

Sounds like the old paintbrush trick, pollinate the flowers with this.
why didnt i think of that! lol. I had read that watermelon was basically
"self-pollinating" or whatever its called - in other words its own pollen
can fertilize itself as if it was a hermaphrodite (you know what i mean), so
using a paintbrush to manually brush the pollen should certainly work i'd
imagine. But I guess ill have to wait for next summer now

Also found that lavender attracts bees better than anything else and will
help.

Interesting tip, thanks

Youre doing better than I, as the 2 tiny water melons I grew were about
2.5 inches in diameter,
and were a great talking point at our garden club, which, if I dont grow
bigger ones will probably be thrown out of....(grin!!!)

Actually there was also a second melon that was growing - it got to
approximately the size of a lawn bowls ball, but it looked very dried up and
a bit shrivelled, whereas the other melon grew perfectly so im not sure what
the deal is with that - not enough water maybe? although I water every
Monday and Friday (my two sprinkler nights)