Old 31-03-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Cutting Daffodils

"Sue" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote
"Broadback" wrote

Having noticed that the local council cut verges before the daff's
leaves have completely died, yet they still flower well the next
year, I have started cutting mine when the council cut their's. I
suspect that one year they will cut too early and I will have no
flowers the next year!

guess

It may be possible to compensate for early cutting by giving them
a sprinkle of a specially formulated low nitrogen fertiliser a few
weeks beforehand, or at some other time in the year. snip

Geoff Hamilton used to recommend sprinkling a handful of rose fertiliser
round them after flowering, so I do this when I remember, as well as
letting the foliage die down, on the grounds that my soil is so light
and hungry anyway, the daffs need all the help they can get.

--
Sue

rant

I've always had a lot of time for Geoff Hamilton. Who not only
had the grounding in horticulture, having studed it at college,
and started off writing articles in gardening magazines, but
was always trying out new things.
On the other hand I was a regular "Observer" reader when Monty
Don first got the gardening column. The first two years more or
less merely consisted of him "gutting" a book of the week,
presenting it as "his" column, and then just giving an
acknowledgement of the title at the end. The point being that he
was clearly in no postion to judge the accuracy of any of the advice
and information he was relaying. Learning on the job, and badly at
that, and at the readers' expense in other words. No thanks. In
his first book, which I happened to glance through in W.H.Smith
he appeared unable to ditinguish between perlite (white round)
and vermiculite (brown usually, flakes). It maybe goes without saying
that I no longer bother with "Gardeners World". Although I'm given to
understand Monty fills a pair of rough cordrouys to perfection.

/rant

michael adams