Old 31-03-2006, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default slugs help

I normally manage to happily ignore slugs and snails EXCEPT at his time of
year when they massacre seedlings or
my Cardiocrinums which only come into leaf for a few months and just sit
there and get eaten down to the bulb before they can put on food for the
following year.

I know about night treks to garden with torch and beer traps etc. I also
use half pop bottles as temporary cloches.
I refuse to use slug pellets.
In the past I have used Aluminium sulphate as it sounded innocent
organic/environment wise.
I have also heard of Iron phosphate??? (or did I mishear that).
Anyone got an opinion on either OR know anything else that works.
I have tried gravel and it just slows them down slightly.

My default is to going to be to use teh cloches for teh greenhouse (tomato
seedlings) and the alu sulphate in the flower bed unless anyone has a better
idea.

Des (Dublin near the sea)