Old 31-03-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Greenhouse - Asking neighbour

htmark98 wrote:
The neighbourhood is very warming and i talk to lots of people (also 3
garderners aswell), loads of oldish folk and familys i think we are
only the youngish couple on our street (me and missus both under 25)
and get on fine with everyone (approx 15 houses). It's all 1900's
Victorian houses etc

I have been going past now and again, but as they live in a deadend
street with only 3 houses it will look well dodgy walking up and down.
But theyre back garden is 2 gardens down from my back gate, so cannot
see if they use their garden, only by going into my garage and having a
little look (which i do everyday). But they do have a compost bin next
door. I cannot remember if they used it last year and just havent had
time to clear it yet (i'll have to find that out)

I was gonna go down the note route but thought if they had kids they
would read it etc. I have just never ever seen them.

I'd still go the note route but try it this way: "I'm delivering this
to anyone in this neighbourhood who might be interested, so I hope you
will forgive my intrusion. I'm looking for a second hand greenhouse so
am asking all neighbours with greenhouses if they will bear me in mind
if they consider selling theirs. Many thanks. Yours sincerely, etc.
etc." Add your address and phone number so they know you're a genuine
inhabitant of your area.
That's polite, gives them the option of contacting you or of ignoring
the whole thing and does not single them out as the sole objects of
your attention. If you know the name of that neighbour, put it on the
envelope and if you don't, put the note in an envelope anyway and
address it to The Gardeners at No..........
And to add tact to persistence, cover your back by putting that same
note through a few other letterboxes. After all, you never know!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk